Serves 4-6 people
A rich and intense flavour, with all the benefits of cooking on the bone.
900g Beef Shin on the bone (approximately)
120ml Worcestershire sauce
2 heaped teaspoons wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp Ballymaloe relish
Good quality crusty Bread
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC
- Remove the bone from the Shin and dice the meat into 1 -2-inch pieces.
- Place a large casserole dish and a large non-stick frying pan on a high heat.
- Toss the meat in a generous amount of black pepper and a pinch of salt and dry fry with the bones in the hot frying pan for 8-10 mins.
- Wash and trim the carrots and chop into 5cm chunks, and place in the casserole dish with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Peel and quarter the onions and break into petals directly into the casserole dish stirring regularly.
- When the meat is nicely coloured, tip the meat and bones into the dish, adding the Worcestershire sauce, the wholegrain mustard and the Ballymaloe relish. Cover with 800ml of boiling water.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours until meltingly soft.
- Remove bones. Season to taste and serve with crusty bread.